Grasshopper Takeover

General Lincoln Music discussion / random crap

Re: Grasshopper Takeover

Postby anchoresse » 27 Feb 2012, 15:20

Professor Talksalot wrote:http://www.grasshoppertakeover.com/media/qt_esta-broadband.mov

That might have been the longest 3 minutes and 36 seconds of my life.
anchoresse

Postby Joe Kickass » 27 Feb 2012, 15:29

Professor Talksalot wrote:
Joe Kickass wrote:There are a lot of other strange connections between Ventura/LA and Omaha/Lincoln. I was looking through a high school classmate's tour photo albums on FB (he was or is in a band called Whispertown or some such thing), and saw I pics of Craiger in there!

Whispertown is friends with Jake Bellows and I believe (not 100% certain) that Maria Taylor toured with them and that is why you saw Craig.

That's so weird! I was just clicking through, and there he was, looking vaguely like Jason London.
Joe Kickass

Postby pat-trick » 27 Feb 2012, 16:33

anchoresse wrote:
Professor Talksalot wrote:http://www.grasshoppertakeover.com/media/qt_esta-broadband.mov

That might have been the longest 3 minutes and 36 seconds of my life.

For some reason it bothered me that they didn't plug in the guitar or bass.
pat-trick

Postby anchoresse » 27 Feb 2012, 16:48

pat-trick wrote:For some reason it bothered me that they didn't plug in the guitar or bass.

For some reason it bothered me that they were fucking terrible.

But yeah, the cable thing was weird too.
anchoresse

Postby chunkylover77 » 27 Feb 2012, 17:02

holy crap I never knew that band was that bad. I dont know if Ive ever actually heard them but holy shit. That video needs to be burned forever.
chunkylover77

Postby ben swift » 28 Feb 2012, 11:57

I am sure that I saw them, all of those bands. what an age we live in.
also- Blacklight Sunshine - they were nice dudes and definitely in that genre crowd.
ben swift

Postby me-but-better » 28 Feb 2012, 12:00

I found it very difficult to like any 'big' band that came out of Omaha in the 90's. There must have been some, but I can't remember any that made a positive impression on me.

I blame 311. That guitar tone haunts me in my nightmares to this day. :roll:
me-but-better

Postby darren keen 2 » 28 Feb 2012, 12:07

more then the piccalo snare?
darren keen 2

Postby Joe Kickass » 28 Feb 2012, 12:10

I actually kind of still dig 311's mellow non-distorted reggae type stuff. I think Transistor was actually a pretty decent record.

I also liked Nimrod from Green Day, so, you know.
Joe Kickass

Postby me-but-better » 28 Feb 2012, 12:19

darren keen 2 wrote:more then the piccalo snare?

I would say they're about even. To be honest, when I hear the sounds on those albums it makes me want to jam swizzle sticks through my eardrums. So, rather than do that, I just avoid hearing it.
me-but-better

Postby Joe Kickass » 28 Feb 2012, 12:21

me-but-better wrote:
darren keen 2 wrote:more then the piccalo snare?

I would say they're about even. To be honest, when I hear the sounds on those albums it makes me want to jam swizzle sticks through my eardrums. So, rather than do that, I just avoid hearing it.

It's such a bummer when you're watching a band (usually a new band), and they have this loud full clean guitar sound, and then they hit their distortion pedal, and the distortion is so over-the-top that the sound is super compressed, making the distorted guitar sound way quieter than the clean guitar. And it's all trebley or whatever.

Anyway, the distortion I get out of my Blues Jr. makes me not need anything else :)
Joe Kickass

Postby chunkylover77 » 28 Feb 2012, 14:34

when I first started playing in a band, before I knew much about playing guitar, I played in our ska band settle for less. I had this totally shitty crate 2x12 and used some cheapy distortion pedal. I had that effect going. Super loud clean ska sound, then compressed static distortion. It was awful.

and for the record..311 is awful. My brother had that grassroots album way back in the day before I had ever heard of them..It had a song called "omaha stylee" on it, I think. I thought it was pretty sweet because I was just kind of getting out of the white zombie/smashing pumpkins/nirvana phase and into the 40oz to freedom and robbin the hood sublime phase..but it quickly (after 2-3 listens) became annoying. Then, that other album came out..their first real popular one with the alien face on it??...and I liked it for a week, and then started hating how much it got overplayed by everyone, and then I realized it was freaking awful. Still cant stomach any of it. So then I went to college a couple years later and sure enough, my freshman roomate was all about the 311. First thing I see when I walk in to the dorm was a 311 poster. Uggh. was gonna be a long year.

good story huh?
chunkylover77

Postby royalfan5 » 28 Feb 2012, 14:53

chunkylover77 wrote:when I first started playing in a band, before I knew much about playing guitar, I played in our ska band settle for less. I had this totally shitty crate 2x12 and used some cheapy distortion pedal. I had that effect going. Super loud clean ska sound, then compressed static distortion. It was awful.

and for the record..311 is awful. My brother had that grassroots album way back in the day before I had ever heard of them..It had a song called "omaha stylee" on it, I think. I thought it was pretty sweet because I was just kind of getting out of the white zombie/smashing pumpkins/nirvana phase and into the 40oz to freedom and robbin the hood sublime phase..but it quickly (after 2-3 listens) became annoying. Then, that other album came out..their first real popular one with the alien face on it??...and I liked it for a week, and then started hating how much it got overplayed by everyone, and then I realized it was freaking awful. Still cant stomach any of it. So then I went to college a couple years later and sure enough, my freshman roomate was all about the 311. First thing I see when I walk in to the dorm was a 311 poster. Uggh. was gonna be a long year.

good story huh?

I never fully understood 311 until I lived in West Omaha for awhile. Sure it was okay at first until you realized that it essentially repeated itself every 12 blocks or so. Then 311 made sense.

Also, I owned 311 and Grasshopper Takeover records in the 90's. Coincidentally, I was an asshole for most of the 90's.
royalfan5

Postby Joe Kickass » 28 Feb 2012, 15:02

royalfan5 wrote:I never fully understood 311 until I lived in West Omaha for awhile. Sure it was okay at first until you realized that it essentially repeated itself every 12 blocks or so. Then 311 made sense.

Also, I owned 311 and Grasshopper Takeover records in the 90's. Coincidentally, I was an asshole for most of the 90's.

I'm gonna buy you a margarita!
Joe Kickass

Postby BorK » 28 Feb 2012, 15:06

Every time I see this thread this gets stuck in my head

C_R_J and I went to everclear at sokol after I won tix from the Blaze. Jimmy's chicken shack opened. Backstage i asked the EC dude to sign my boob and he would not.

WHERE IS YOUR CAREER NOW?
BorK

PreviousNext

Return to Music / random crap